Most people don’t realize how inconvenient it can be when someone attacks your website.
And if you don’t think it will ever happen to you – then think again! At some point, IT WILL!
Being hit by a hacker is no fun. However, it also reminds you how strong you are. An essential characteristic for ALL entrepreneurs.
Most people online give up at the first sign of trouble.
Others fight to the death. Work late. Get up early. And that is why they succeed.
Although some of the ‘gurus’ would like you to think you can just hit a few buttons and out pops a successful business. You and I both know it takes hard work and determination.
And once you’ve built a successful business – there are a few steps you need to take to protect that business.
Here are the changes we’ve made to make sure this never happens again…
1. It’s VERY important to change your passwords regularly. Also include capitals, numbers and symbols in your passwords. NEVER use ‘admin’ as the username for your website login area. Vary your password if you have several different sites or accounts.
2. Switch to a 2-step verification that is done via Gmail. This adds a very important extra layer of security to your account.
3. Backup your website on a regular basis. One of the easiest ways to do this is using BackupBuddy.
4. Ensure you are always operating on the most up to date version of WordPress. Also keep any themes you have installed updated too. WordPress is constantly releasing updates to fix any security holes.
5. Improve the security of your WordPress blog using a free plugin like ‘Better WP Security‘. This plugin adds a number
of additional layers of security for your blog. Other options for added security are also Wordfence and Bulletproof Security
6. Add whatever security steps that are available at your domain registrar.
(i.e. Registrar Lock, 2-Step Verification, and WhoIs protection)
7. To avoid revealing your real email in public at any point, you can also use wildcard emails .
It’s easy to get slack about passwords and protecting your site so I would strongly encourage you to put this on your to-do list.
There is no point in being paranoid but you do want to take every step possible to protect the hard work you’ve put into your business.
Fortunately, entrepreneurs are determined ol’ things and we always come back stronger.
THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE SHARE TO SPREAD THE WORD…..
Here’s to your success,